Tulane University Police Department is currently recruiting for both Louisiana POST Level 1 (law enforcement officer) and non-POST certified candidates for Police Officer (full time and part time) and Police Officer Trainee positions. Candidates with current POST Level 1 certification will be considered for Police Officer positions, and non-POST candidates will be considered for Police Officer Trainee positions. Police Officer Trainees will be sent to a police academy to earn POST Level 1 certification. The Police Officer for Tulane University’s Police Department performs law enforcement, crime prevention duties and other general police/security services; enforces state and local laws as well as Tulane University policies and procedures. Conducts proactive patrol by means of foot, bicycle, or motorized vehicle. The Police Officer Trainee performs basic security functions including, but not limited to: patrol and providing public safety service to members of the community. Trainee hires will be sent by TUPD to a police academy to earn Louisiana POST Level 1 certification.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must attend and successfully complete, annually, a department authorized and POST approved in-service training course consisting of at least forty (40) hours of instruction.
- Must obtain and maintain a special police commission from the Louisiana State Police Department.
- Must successfully complete the department field-training program within designated time frame.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Good customer service skills.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated self restraint in challenging and/or difficult situations.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Ability to remain flexible in the face of constantly changes needs.
- Ability and willingness to make sound decisions quickly based on the facts presented.
- Ability and willingness to demonstrate respect and safeguard the dignity and rights of all individuals.
- Knowledge of police patrol goals and objectives and mission (i.e., the importance of goals and objectives, difficulties associated with goals and objectives as relates to department mission statement).
- Knowledge of university and police department rules, regulations and other written directives.
- Required to work nights/weekends/holidays.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather or weather extremes.
- May be confined to patrol car for an entire shift.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, infectious disease, blood borne pathogens, steam, car battery acid, loud noises, smoke and fire.
- Required to be knowledgeable and able to correctly use a TB Mask and other precautionary equipment.
- In addition to meeting P.O.S.T. requirements officers must be able to:
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Walk, climb, and lift.
- Pass a medical examination including vision screening and drug testing; must obtain immunizations and medical tests as required to be able to work in patient care and high-risk areas.
- Pass a psychological evaluation.
- Demonstrate good moral character.
- Demonstrate good driving record.
- Meet written departmental standards on appearance/grooming.
- No prior criminal convictions that would prohibit the individual from meeting the standards set forth by the State of Louisiana to become a law enforcement officer.
Required Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 21 years of age or older.
- Police Officer: P.O.S.T. certification upon hire. Certification must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
- Police Officer Trainee: must complete all training requirements to include graduating from an accredited police academy and obtaining P.O.S.T. certification within 365 days of hire. Certification must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
- Must obtain Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification within 365 days from date of hire, and must maintain certification as a condition of continued employment.
- Must have a valid and unrestricted (not including corrective lens needs) U.S. Drivers License and must meet the Tulane University Motor Vehicle Policy criteria to become an authorized driver.
How To Apply
Click "Apply Now" to apply for this job.This posting will remain open until filled.Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.
Location/Region: New Orleans, LA (US)