The Senior Biosafety Officer is responsible for provided advanced level support of the development and implementation of the Tulane University Biosafety Program and Animal Infection Control Program at the Tulane University uptown, downtown campuses and the Tulane National Primate Research Center (TNPRC) under the supervision of the Director of Biosafety. The Senior Biosafety Officer provides services directly to personnel through field consultations, inspections, and training. The employee is responsible for supporting the development of a comprehensive biosafety program at Tulane University in accordance with federal, state, local regulations and university policy.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues to diverse clients. Skills in customer service and collaborative attitude, as well as exceptional written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of database development, querying, word processing, spreadsheet development, using MS Office to accomplish work-related tasks. Demonstrated ability to perform library and Internet searches to collect technical and regulatory information.
- Knowledge of laboratory containment engineering, lab design, facilities requirements for verification and reverification.
- Ability to teach and train staff of varying experience levels on biosafety practices and procedures in a classroom and in interactive laboratory environments.
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills with a collaborative orientation.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment, including respiratory protection equipment (negative pressure PAPR or N95). Must have sufficient mobility, dexterity, and endurance to perform field visits. Must be able to access any area of the University to perform inspections, job safety assessments, emergency response, etc.
- Ability to provide detailed reviews covering work with animals and infectious materials, recombinant DNA, and toxins. organizational skills
Required Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in safety, industrial hygiene, microbiology, molecular biology, biology, public health or other related discipline
- Four (4) years of experience as a biosafety professional or supporting the management of biosafety containment facilities, to include experience working as a laboratorian or research scientist in a biological laboratory
- Advanced degree in safety, industrial hygiene, microbiology, molecular biology, biology, public health or other related discipline.
- Experience in a University research environment.
- Background accessing and performing facility verification in laboratories working with infectious materials and/or those laboratories using BSL3/ABSL3 or other high consequence biological pathogens.
- Five (5) or more years of experience as a biosafety professional or supporting the management of biosafety containment facilities Degree in safety, industrial hygiene, microbiology, molecular biology, biology, public health or other related discipline
How To Apply
Click "Apply Now" to apply for this job.This posting will remain open until filled.Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.
Location/Region: Covington, LA (US)