The Restaurant Reporter/Critic is an essential role of Newsday’s FeedMe team that will add to our coverage of Long Island's dining scene across digital, video, print and social platforms. Coverage entails a range of dining settings, from fast-casual chains to roadside delis and may include on-camera work for video reports.
Essential Duties & Functions
- This position will contribute food-related stories, videos and social content for daily coverage and seasonal products, including our quarterly Feed Me magazine.
- Responsible for multi-platform storytelling—covering venue openings/closings and tracking Long Island restaurant trends--be that in quick-turnaround written features or engaging readers on Instagram and other social platforms.
- Make appearances and present on local television along with video and social platforms. Staffers are also a featured part of company-organized events open to the public/subscribers.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications
- 3-5 years’ reporting experience covering restaurants and food trends for a major publication/website and will have knowledge of a wide range of cuisines.
- Applicants should submit a digital portfolio of relevant work, including video content.
- Must be a savvy, curious candidate who specializes in multi-platform storytelling.
- Proficiency shooting iPhone photos and videos.
- Must possess a comfort level and ability making appearances and presenting on local television along with video and social platforms and company-organized events open to the public/subscribers.
- Have strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work on and prioritize multiple assignments/projects while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Have demonstrated experience strengthening a brand’s engagement on social media.
- Work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, holidays & extended hours as needed to support business needs and coverage.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in good standing and a reliable vehicle with the ability to travel to assigned locations throughout Long Island.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in good standing and a reliable vehicle with the ability to travel to assigned locations throughout Long Island as needed.
- Must be able to eat various cuisines without having any food restrictions.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)