First American Title Insurance Company, the largest subsidiary of First American Financial Corporation (NYSE: FAF), traces its history to 1889. One of the largest title insurers in the nation, the company offers title services through its direct operations and an extensive network of agents throughout the United States and abroad. First American Title provides comprehensive title insurance coverage and professional services for purchases, construction, refinances, or equity loans. The company’s thorough searches, title clearance, and insurance help to produce clear property titles and enable the efficient transfer of real estate. First American was named one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For® in 2016 and 2017. For more information, visit www.firstam.com
Typically a Certified Paralegal who performs substantive legal work under the guidance and supervision of an attorney. Provides assistance to support underwriting counsel in the Ohio state office of First American Title Insurance Company.
- Performs research and analysis on certain legal issues relating to underwriting the issuance of title insurance policies.
- Assists in the collection of information and documentation from agents and direct operations and synthesizes/analyzes that information/documentation to assist the underwriting process.
- Assists in the development and presentation of webinars and seminars for continuing education.
- Analyzes information presented with requests for letters of indemnity and prepares such letters if the analysis supports issuance.
- Provides other administrative support to the underwriting department.
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of real property law. Knowledge of other areas of law affecting real property (e.g. probate, bankruptcy, foreclosure) a plus.
- Intermediate research and summation skills.
- Strong PC skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal / customer skills
- Detail oriented
- Excellent time management, communications, decision-making, presentation, human relations, and organizational skills.
- College degree preferred
- Completed paralegal program
Typical Range of Experience
- Typically has 3-5 years professional experience
License or Certification
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
First American invests in its employee’s development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers.
Location/Region: Columbus, OH