This position is responsible for managing the operation of the hotel’s maintenance department while assisting with the daily repair and maintenance of the hotel’s physical plant in accordance with Company standards for quality, cleanliness, guest satisfaction, and safety and security.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist the General Manager with using business forecasts to set maintenance staff work schedules in accordance with budgeted labor costs. Adjust schedules as needed to meet business demands.
- Manage departmental expenses, including equipment and supply inventory, within budgeted guidelines. Explain causes for any budget variance, and take corrective action to avoid future variance occurrences.
- Visually inspect rooms and public areas to ensure that work orders are properly completed according to Company standards.
- Supervise and perform routine maintenance throughout the property, to include painting, carpet/floor cleaning, etc.
- Supervise and perform minor adjustments on HVAC systems, including the repair and/or replacement of air conditioning units.
- Supervise and perform minor repairs and/or replacements of room furniture, fixtures, and equipment to include television sets, light fixtures, etc.
- Manage and perform all other duties outlined in the Company’s Preventative Maintenance Programs, in accordance with regional standards to include: adherence to the work order process, and the Maintenance Program and Process binder.
- Clean and maintain the hotel’s exterior areas, to include the swimming pool, parking lot, and all other aspects pertaining to the hotel’s overall landscape and curb appeal.
- Issue tools, equipment, and supplies to maintenance staff.
- Protect Company assets by properly securing tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Report requests for major repairs to the General Manager in accordance with hotel procedures.
- Assist the General Manager in determining capital requests, managing existing contracts, and soliciting new proposals as needed for capital projects.
- Announce presence and enter guest rooms in accordance with Company standards and procedures.
- Smile, acknowledge, and greet guests while in guest rooms or any other area of the hotel.
- Respond to guest’s requests for immediate repairs.
- Ensure that the maintenance staff receives satisfactory guest satisfaction, product quality, and/or mystery shopper scores. Take corrective action to improve any deficiencies.
- Be available to work a flexible schedule.
- Assist other employees in various assignments, such as collecting/delivering dirty linen to laundry, operating the hotel shuttle/van, and assisting with laundry or housekeeping as needed.
- Serve as the Manager-on-Duty in the absence of the General Manager and/or the Assistant General Manager.
- Recruit, hire, train, and retain employees to deliver exceptional guest service and a quality product that will lead to achieving EBITDA goals. Maintain an acceptable level of turnover.
- Train and empower maintenance staff to successfully perform job duties and achieve Company standards.
- Assist the General Manager in properly administering Human Resources policies and procedures, including payroll administration, personnel transactions, and fair and consistent employee treatment. Conduct wage surveys as needed to ensure the hotel is offering competitive wages.
- Advise and consult with General Manager regarding poor employee behavior and violation of performance standards; provide counseling and/or discipline as needed.
Safety and Security:
- Perform work duties in accordance with Company safety and security policies and procedures, as well as in accordance with posted OSHA, HazCom, and Blood Borne Pathogen regulations and other applicable state and local regulations.
- Report and store lost-and-found items in accordance with hotel procedures.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least three (3) years of previous maintenance/engineering-related experience and previous supervisory experience. HVAC and Certified Pool/Spa Operator preferred.
MINIMUM SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have extensive knowledge of plumbing, painting, HVAC, electrical, and/or other general repair skills.
- Must display very good organization and time management skills.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with many types of personalities.
- Must have sound judgment and discretional skills and work with little or no supervision.
- Must be able to consistently work under pressure and simultaneously prioritize multiple projects.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English.
- Must have a clean driving record and a valid, current, and non-probationary driver’s license.
- Obtain any locally required certifications.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to stand and sit for extended periods, often for a minimum of 2 hours at a time.
- Must be able to frequently walk and climb/descend stairs approximately 50% of the time.
- Must have general dexterity for firm and simple grasping of objects. Some tasks, such as the use of small repair tools, may also require fine dexterity skills.
- Must be able to periodically kneel, reach, crawl, and twist torso as needed to accomplish required tasks.
- Must be able to push and/or pull approximately 60% of the time, to include when using a cart to carry linens, trash, tools, etc. or when operating equipment such as a lawnmower, pavement sweeper, wheelbarrow, etc.
- Must be able to regularly lift and carry up to 50 pounds without assistance and a maximum of 140 pounds with assistance.
LQ Management L.L.C. provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Location/Region: Appleton, WI